Minimal Stimulation IVF or Mini IVF or Gentle IVF is a special IVF protocol which involves the use of hormone stimulation injections that are of Low dose and fewer number of injections as compared to the standard IVF protocol. It is usually used for IVF for patients who have a low egg count. An increasing number of couples seeking treatment of infertility now-a-days face the challenge of low egg reserve. Let us now understand few basic queries asked by couples seeking IVF treatment by Top IVF specialist of India, Dr Mona Dahiya.
What is minimal stimulation IVF or mini-IVF?
Minimal stimulation IVF or mini IVF is an IVF protocol in which lower doses of injection are used as compared to the conventional IVF protocol. One of India’s Top IVF Doctors, Dr Mona suggests that mini ivf is primarily used in the following 2 broad scenarios.
- Patients who have a low egg count or a low ovarian reserve / low AMH
- Patients who are hyper responders and are at a risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.
What is the mini IVF protocol?
The mini IVF protocol or minimal stimulation IVF protocol is a simple protocol or procedure. In the mini IVF protocol, instead of taking the high dose of injections as in normal IVF, low dose injections are used. It involves using combination of
- Oral medicine
- Low dose injections for a few days
Most IVF experts in India and across the Globe evaluate the need for mini ivf protocol after a patient history and diagnosis.
How long does mini IVF take?
Mini IVF takes an average of 10 days. Since the Process of egg formation in a woman is spread over 10 to 14 days, the procedure takes nearly 10 days. The procedure starts on the second day of menstrual cycle when oral medicines are started for egg formation. Additionally, low dose injections are added and during this time ultrasound is done 3-4 times to see the progress of egg development. You can visit Little angel IVF, counted among the best ivf centre in India to know more.
How many eggs are retrieved in mini IVF?
In mini-IVF, 2-7 eggs are retrieved. This classification is according to the Rotterdam based International Society for Mild Approaches in Assisted Reproduction (ISMAAR). Sometimes, with very low egg count there is a possibility that no egg may be retrieved. In standard IVF 8-15 eggs are produced. Since minimal stimulation IVF or mini IVF is done for couples who already have a low egg count/ low AMH, it results in production of fewer eggs in range of 2-7. However, some studies have shown that since lower dose of injections have been used, the quality of these eggs is better as compared to when higher dose of injections is used in the standard IVF. Little angel IVF has 5 IVF Clinics in India and you can also book for an online appointment with infertility expert Dr Mona Dahiya.
Who is a good candidate for mini IVF or minimal stimulation IVF or mild IVF?
A good candidate for mini IVF is the one that qualifies for 1 or more of the following 10 factors that call out the need to undergo mini IVF.
- Patients with a low egg count who have a low AMH and low ovarian reserve are good candidates for mini IVF.
- Women over 35 years of age Is a good candidate for mini IVF.
- Women with endometriosis should consider mini ivf.
- Good candidate for mini IVF is Women with previous ovarian surgery
- Women with PCOS (polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
- Women who are at risk of Ovarian hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS)
- Couples with male infertility with severe oligospermia.
- Couples looking for Low-Cost IVF treatment.
- People looking for IVF treatment with minimal use of Injections for stimulation.
- Couples looking for fewer visits and less monitoring during the IVF Cycle.
In patients with Low AMH, since the baseline number of eggs is low, giving very high dose of injections are not of much benefit. Infact, it only adds to the cost of the IVF cycle. Thus, in such patients, mini IVF may be used. Low dose injections are given to yield fewer but better-quality eggs. The embryos so formed can be frozen in one cycle. A repeat stimulation may be done in the next cycle to gather more embryos. This is called “embryo pooling “. These are then transferred in a frozen/ fresh cycle. People from across the globe come for ivf treatment in India as the ivf cost in India is among the lowest in the world.
Are mini IVF worth it?
Mini IVF is worth it as per IVF Expert in India, Dr Mona Dahiya. It is a good IVF protocol for patients who have lesser number of eggs or low AMH. In such patients, this protocol works better. Mini IVF has 5 key advantages as per Dr Mona Dahiya
- Mini IVF is not a painful process as it requires fewer number of injections.
- Lower cost on account of Low Dosage Injections makes mini worth it.
- Minimal Stimulation requires Fewer visits to an infertility Clinic.
- The Mini IVF treatment process have no or low side effects.
- Reduced risk of ovarian hyperstimulation is a key advantage of Mini IVF.
Many couples with low AMH have conceived at Little Angel IVF. We assess the couples in detail to formulate an indivualised treatment protocol for mild stimulation which helps in getting good quality embryos and a positive result. Little angel IVF has been constantly rated as the best ivf clinic in India and you can schedule an online appointment to know more.
Is mini IVF successful?
Yes, mini IVF is successful. If a proper treatment protocol is formulated, the mini IVF protocol is good for patients with low egg count / low AMH as per world renowned infertility doctor Dr Dahiya. However, the couple should be counseled about the challenges involved which include the following 3.
- Cycle cancellation in 10-15 % patients if improper follicular development.
- Retrieving no eggs in 5%
- Having no good quality embryo for transfer despite egg retrieval: 5% cases
However, we at Little Angel IVF employ close monitoring and intense planning and most of the couples do well and are able to conceive successfully.
What is mild stimulation IVF?
Mild Stimulation IVF is a special category of IVF protocol in which instead of giving high dose of injections, the patient is given a combination of oral medication and low dose injection for IVF. It is especially useful for patients with low egg reserve or low AMH. This is a more patient friendly and safer protocol.
What is the difference between IVF and mini IVF?
The difference between IVF and mini IVF is that in mini IVF lower dose of injections are used to stimulate the ovaries to produce eggs. Also, mini IVF is more advantages as
- It is less Costly.
- The number of injections is less.
- There is less chance of ovarian hyperstimulation and thus it is safer.
- More patient friendly.
Mini IVF or “Gentle IVF” is used in patients with lesser count of eggs. Giving high dose injections in such cases does not help to improve the number of eggs retrieved. On the contrary, high dose of injections may adversely affect egg quality. Therefore, in such patients mini IVF is advised.
Is mild IVF better?
Mild IVF is better in patients with a low egg count or low AMH. In such patient’s conventional IVF does not help to increase the number of eggs retrieved. Also, conventional IVF uses high dose of injections which do not have much benefit in low egg count patients. Such injections only add to the cost of IVF. In such situations, mini IVF or mild IVF is better. Mild IVF has the following 10 benefits
- Patient friendly
- Low cost
- Takes less time.
- Less health risks
- Less side effects of injections
- Low emotional burden or stress
- Treatment can be repeated sooner
- Better implantation rates
- Better quality eggs
How successful is mini IVF?
Mini IVF is successful in patients with Low AMH. In such patients mini IVF is safer and uses less injections to yield comparable success rates. The eggs produced are less but they are of higher quality and pregnancy rates of 20-40% have been documented.
Read More about IVF with Low AMH
What does mild stimulation mean?
Mild stimulation means a combination of the following 3 Factors.
- Number of Injections used to stimulate.
- Lower dosage of injections used for the stimulation.
- Fewer Days required for the Treatment as compared to conventional IVF.
The injections are used along with oral medicines like Clomiphene or Letrozole to produce eggs for IVF. This is a “mild” or “gentle “approach as compared to standard IVF.
What is the difference between natural and mild IVF?
The difference between natural and mild IVF is that in natural IVF, no oral medicines or injections are given to produce more eggs. The IVF in Natural IVF is done using the single egg from a lady’s natural menstrual cycle. In mild IVF or Mini IVF, low dose injections are given to produce more than one egg during IVF. There are around 2-7 eggs in Mild IVF.
Thus, in Natural IVF
- No injections or oral medicines are given
- Only one egg is produced
In Mild IVF
- Low dose injections and oral medicines are given
- 2-7 eggs are produced.
What is mild IVF Treatment?
Mild IVF is a special type of IVF protocol used in patients with a low egg count. It works around the natural menstrual cycle which is modified by giving low dose injections and oral medicines to produce 2-7 eggs. Since there are fewer injections, the side effects are minimized and there is less financial burden as the cost is also reduced.
Is mild IVF Short protocol?
Yes, mild IVF is short protocol. In short protocol, fewer injections are used for around 8-10 days as compared to long protocol in which injections are used for around 2 weeks.
In Long Protocol
- GnRH agonist injections are added form the previous cycle day 21
- Injections are for longer duration nearly 2 weeks
- Ovarian suppression is achieved
In Short Protocol
- Injections start form the same cycle Day 2
- Fewer injections for nearly 8-10 days
- No ovarian suppression
What are the disadvantages of mini IVF or minimal stimulation IVF?
There are 6 disadvantages of mini IVF or Minimal Stimulation IVF and we are listing down the same for clarity.
- Fewer eggs are retrieved so lesser number of embryos formed.
- Cycle may get cancelled in 10-15% cases if response to injections is inadequate.
- At times no good quality embryo may be formed and there is no transfer.
- Success rate may be lower than standard IVF.
- There may be no embryos to freeze.
- If multiple attempts are needed it may become costly.
Dr Mona Dahiya is considered as one of the best ivf doctors in the world and has written various National & International Journals. She is an eminent and infertility Doctor with Fellowship from one of the best infertility hospitals, Singapore General Hospital. She has obtained her medical degrees from the Top medical colleges in India- PG and Residency from Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi University and MBBS from Lady Hardinge Medical College Delhi University. Dr Mona Dahiya of Little Angel IVF is continuously ranked as the Best IVF Specialist in India. Dr Mona is the founder Director of Little Angel IVF chain of clinics in Delhi, Gurgaon & Noida. Her 3 IVF Clinic in Noida have been voted as the best ivf clinic in Noida for 10 years in a row. With over 20 Years of Global experience and having done more than 3000 IVF Cycles, Little Angel IVF is known for the highest IVF Success rate in India.