IUI Treatment Centre
What is Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)?
Intrauterine insemination (IUI treatment or artificial insemination) is a fertility treatment that uses a catheter to place highly concentrated amount of active motile sperms directly into the womb. The goal of IUI is to increase the number of sperms that reach the fallopian tubes around the time of ovulation to increase the chance of fertilisation.
Why do I need this procedure?
- 1.Unexplained infertility
- 2.Mild reduction in sperm count or quality
- 3.Donor sperm treatment
- 4.Hostile cervical conditions like when the cervical mucus has anti sperm antibodies
- 5.Sexual dysfunction where there is difficulty in penetration.
- 6.Sexual abstinence (e.g. when the partner is away)
The pregnancy rate with IUI is 10-13%. In cycles where more than one follicle is present (two or three) the success rate is around 20 %.
What does it involve?
Before proceeding for IUI treatment, a semen analysis for the male partner and a tubal patency test (Hysterosalpingography-HSG) for the female partner is done. IUI treatment is not suitable for women in whom both fallopian tubes are blocked.
Fertility drugs are used starting Day 2/3 of mensus to stimulate the ovaries to develop follicles. An ultrasound scan is used to monitor the size of the follicle/s and finally an injection is administered to stimulate the release of eggs from the follicles to help time the insemination. The semen sample is processed and then a catheter is used to place the semen directly into the womb. The procedure takes only 5-10 minutes and involves no pain.
What are the possible risks from the procedure?
Intrauterine insemination is a relatively simple and safe procedure, and the risk of serious complications is low. Risks include:
- Infection. Studies indicate that fewer than 1 percent of women experience infection as a result of the procedure.
- Spotting. Sometimes the process of placing the catheter in the uterus can cause a small amount of vaginal bleeding. This does not usually have an effect on the chance of pregnancy.
- Multiple pregnancies. If there is multiple follicular development, the possibility of multiple pregnancy is increased.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
- Monday - Sunday 9AM - 8PM
Phone: +91 9654200023